Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Newsworthy

Caitlin and I made our television news debut on Charlotte, North Carolina's evening news. We spent the weekend in Asheville, NC (which I will write about in a different post), and arrived early at the Charlotte airport for our return flight to Boston. As we waited at the airport, I decided to give Caitlin some wiggle time before boarding our two hour flight. After touring Concourse D for several minutes, I found a nice, open space with rocking chairs and windows looking over a runway. Caitlin and I sat quietly, watching planes take off and playing with stacking cups.

As we sat in our quiet corner of the terminal, I noticed a slick, glossy news reporter and his camera man skulking around uncomfortably nearby. I pretended not to notice the men filming planes just a few feet away from us. Then, I accidentally looked up and made unintentional eye contact with Mr. Slick and Glossy. He waved to Caitlin, I gave him a half-smile and quickly looked down, pretending nothing in the world was more interesting than stacking cups. Next thing I knew, Mr. Slick and Glossy and The Camera Man were standing right over us. "What a beautiful baby. I'm guessing she is......eight months old?" said Mr. S and G. "Yes, almost eight months," I mumbled, all the while giving most of my attention to Caitlin's toys. "Where are you flying today?" he asked. Great, I could see where this conversation was heading. Friendliness by a member of the media could only mean one thing: a request for an interview.

Sure enough, after some small talk, Mr. Slick and Glossy asked if he could interview me about airport security. At first, I politely declined, but next thing I knew, a microphone was attached to my sweater and Mr. Camera Man was ready to roll. Mr. Slick and Glossy asked me a few questions about my thoughts on the new body scanners now in use at major airports around the country. I mumbled a few semi-articulate sentences, while Caitlin went right on playing with her stacking cups. Mr. Slick and Glossy assured me we did a great job and told us to look for the story on the Charlotte CBS website. I am thankful the camera man stood far away and Mr. S and G only used about 15 seconds of footage. I am also thankful I did not say, "like," or "um" during the interview. Caitlin played with her toys during the whole interview, totally unfazed by the giant camera nearby. I am attaching the link to our news debut below. Please enjoy!

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12339861

No comments:

Post a Comment