Friday, October 23, 2009

"A little ouchy"

Happy two month birthday, Caitlin! To celebrate the big day, I took Caitlin to visit our dear friend, Dr. Perry. Dr. Perry gave Caitlin a very special present: her DTaP, Hep B, Pneumococ/pedi-conjugate, and Rotavirus vaccines. Birthday spankings pale in comparison to this form of torture. When presented with her gifts, Caitlin experienced a range of emotions. As the gift was injected carefully into her chubby little thighs, Caitlin remained still and quiet and I thought to myself, "Awesome...she is not going to cry." I was so proud of my strong, stoic little birthday girl and then....Caitlin's face began to change from a petal pink to a fireball red and she let out a blood curdling, heart wrenching wail. Thankfully, Dr. Perry is adept at shot-giving. The ordeal ended as quickly as it began and soon Cailtin was scooped up and snuggled close. Her screams subsided to whimpers and she promptly fell asleep and remained asleep-even through the car seat to crib transition, which is usually the kiss of death. All told, little Caitlin handled her vaccinations quite well. Perhaps even more impressive, I believe I also displayed strength and courage during this ordeal. Although I did not shed a tear, a little part of me cried on the inside. Mom, I finally understand why you fainted each and every time I got hurt or bled.

Thus far, Caitlin's two month birthday celebration has proved slightly traumatizing and thoroughly exhausting. I promise to make it up to her once she wakes from her nap. We're serving up a Carvel ice cream cake and the clowns are coming over around two.

No comments:

Post a Comment