Friday, November 6, 2009

Baby Love




I didn't think I would have to worry about this until she was much older, but Caitlin has fallen head over heels in love. While she has plenty of handsome baby boy suitors, Caitlin only has eyes for one-the octopus who is the centerpiece of her Baby Einstein activity mat. I have given him the highly original name of Mr. Octopus. Yes, Mr. Octopus has stolen Caitlin's heart-she is utterly and completely enamored of him. I am not entirely pleased that my two month old baby is involved in a romantic relationship. Furthermore, I find her taste highly questionable. First of all, Mr. Octopus has eight legs. Aren't two enough for her? Second, Mr. Octopus has terrible fashion sense. He wears a tiny white hat and white kerchief around his neck which I think are supposed to represent his nautical sensibilities. Personally, I think Mr. Octopus looks more like the Pillsbury Dough Boy or Chef Boyardee, but I would never say that to Caitlin. She obviously is pleased with his attire.
You may be thinking, how did this love affair begin? It didn't happen overnight. At first, Caitlin didn't really notice Mr. Octopus. For a while she favored the illuminated music box displayed on the side of her activity mat. Then one day she started looking up. Mr. Octopus has some accessories hanging from his eight legs, like an orange plastic fish and a little rattle. At first Caitlin would look at Mr. Octopus, then shyly turn away. After a couple of days, she started tentatively batting at his legs. Several days after that, she began smiling at Mr. Octopus and even aggressively grabbing at his orange fish. Now, she's in deep. When Caitlin looks at Mr. Octopus she squeals in delight, giggles, coos, smiles-all of the things she is supposed to do when she looks at me! Yes, I'm a little jealous of this eight legged sailor.


Fortunately, since Caitlin remains immobile I largely control their dates. If I find things are getting too intense, I immediately remove Caitlin from the activity mat. Sometimes we even leave the room. All of her dates are supervised-unless I need to squeeze in a quick shower (in which case I am actually quite grateful to Mr. Octopus for keeping her safely entertained). Are there wedding bells in their future? We'll see what happens when we break out the Exersacuer in a couple of months.




No comments:

Post a Comment