Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Danger Zone

Once Caitlin was ready to use her infant tub, Matt and I came up with a nightly bath time routine. After dinner, Caitlin has a short date with Mr. Octopus, then we begin getting her ready for the bath. Matt preps Caitlin, which involves trying to pull her onesie over her head without eliciting screams and removing her diaper. Every night after Matt removes her diaper he lifts Caitlin high into the air, flies her around a bit, then slowly places her into the bathtub. For obvious reasons, I call this brief period of diaper-free time "The Danger Zone." I also like to sing Kenny Loggins's The Danger Zone while this is happening (you know the Top Gun theme song, Maverick and Goose flying around in fighter jets....). Anyway, last night as Caitlin entered The Danger Zone I said, "Look, Matt! She's smiling!" You know how people always say a baby's smile means they have gas? Sure enough, just as Matt lifted Caitlin high into the air, she did a giant poop which splattered all over the kitchen floor. This may be the first time I actually felt glad we haven't installed our hardwood floors yet. Fortunately for Matt, he held Caitlin away from his body, therefore he remained poop-free. Our floor, however, was a different story. The next thirty seconds was a frenzy of hysterical laughter, Matt saying, "What do I do? Where should I put her?" and me trying to quickly wipe the poop from the floor. Although we were doubled over laughing, we somehow managed to clean both the baby and the floor. Matt and I learned our lesson last night: Caitlin's time flying through The Danger Zone will be cut short, at least for now. Maverick is grounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment