Saturday, March 27, 2010

Face Plant

Babies. Just when you think you have them figured out, they go and do something so surprising, so sudden, that once again you must revamp your daily routine and your foolproof tricks. Caitlin reminded me of this earlier today.
I usually wait to eat lunch until Caitlin is napping, but today leftover pizza was calling my name earlier than usual. If I do need to eat during Caitlin's waking hours, I typically prop her next to me on the couch, contentedly playing with a toy, while I munch. This has worked for months now.
Until today. As I ate my pizza, Caitlin sat next to me playing with her stacking cups. Suddenly, she lurched forward to grab a purple cup just slightly out of reach. As she leaned over, she suddenly fell forward onto all fours. Her face hit the couch cushion with such force, she nearly bounced off the couch and fell face first onto the floor. Thankfully, new mamas come equipped with lightning quick reflexes, so I caught Caitlin prior to a potentially nasty face plant.
Caitlin appeared unfazed by her tumble, but I was frantic, fearing what could have been. After some snuggles, some apologies, and some checking to make sure DCFS was not waiting outside my door, I moved Caitlin to the confines of her highchair, where she played safely for the rest of lunch.
This forward tumble means two things: First, I need to change my breakfast/lunch game plan. Second, this is the first step in learning how to crawl. Then I am really in for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment