Saturday, March 20, 2010

Top Chef

Caitlin's introduction to solid foods did not go according to plan (see Grant's Pants). After days of rejection, followed by days of constipation, followed by more days of rejection, I worried Caitlin would subsist solely on breast milk. Forever. Considering this scenario unacceptable, both for baby and for myself, I persisted in my efforts to introduce solid food.

I introduced oatmeal, followed by peaches, then applesauce. Caitlin typically swallowed a few mouthfuls before turning her head in disgust. Each day I tried, each day I failed.

In the midst of Caitlin's food rejection phase, I met my friend Jess for lunch. Jess has an eleven month old baby who loves food so much he cries after finishing a meal. I asked Jess for the secret to her success. "Have you tried making your own food?" Seriously? I barely have the time and energy to cook for Matt and myself, let alone make baby food. Before Caitlin was born I wanted to make homemade baby food exclusively. After Caitlin's arrival, reality set in. Life with a new baby leaves little time to do anything extra, especially for a working mama like myself. But, after my conversation with Jess I felt really guilty. I decided to give homemade baby food a try. Fortunately, this conversation coincided with my February break, so I had some extra time to play in the kitchen.
After I got home from lunch with Jess, I dug around in my kitchen closet until I found Williams-Sonoma's Cooking for Baby (a gift from my foodie mother). After brushing off the dust, I skimmed through the first section, "Wholesome and Homemade." The first paragraph reads, "Do you eat a lot of jarred, canned, or processed foods? If the answer is no, then why should your baby? The foods you give your baby now, in the earliest months, will help shape your child's taste for many years to come." Again, I felt guilty. While I occasionally enjoy a bag of Cheetos, I generally steer clear from the aforementioned food no-nos. Healthy eating is important to me, so of course I hope Caitlin will become a healthy, adventurous eater. After reading through a few pages of the cookbook, I was convinced. I had to give homemade baby food a try.

For my first attempt, I made sweet potatoes. Surprisingly, making baby food was simple. First, I roasted the potatoes for 50 minutes. After cooling, I scooped out the insides, threw them into the food processor, added water, and blended away. Two sweet potatoes made ten plus servings, enough food to last almost a week.

Later that evening, I gave Caitlin sweet potatoes along with oatmeal for supper. As I moved the spoon toward her mouth, I felt the nervous anticipation that comes along with seeking approval. I worked hard (not really) on these sweet potatoes. Rejection would crush my fragile, hormonal feelings. As the sweet potatoes slipped past her lips, they actually remained in her mouth. This was progress. After considering the new flavor for a moment or two, Caitlin swallowed her potatoes and opened her mouth for another bite. Approval! Caitlin ate all 2 ounces of sweet potatoes, more food than she had ever eaten before. Caitlin's acceptance of my homemade sweet potatoes was so satisfying, so gratifying. Then and there, I became hooked on homemade baby food.

Since then, I made applesauce, carrots, peas, and plenty more sweet potatoes. Caitlin enjoyed everything, except the peas. Can you blame her? Peas really only belong in a chicken pot pie. Now that she is approaching seven months, Caitlin is allowed to explore more flavors and textures. Up next, asparagus puree, green beans with mint, baby's lamb, and baby's turkey!

As a working mama, time management is a major challenge. To keep a supply of homemade food at the ready, I usually make a batch over the weekend and another batch on a weeknight after Caitlin goes to bed. Since I became interested (by that I mean, obsessed) with homemade baby food, I have less time for cleaning, reading (except for US Weekly, of course), and exercising . But, making homemade baby food is a great excuse for putting things off. I really didn't have time to iron or clean the bathroom. I am too busy making wholesome, nutritious food for my child which will allow her to grow and thrive. Nobody will argue with that reasoning!

For mamas interested in making homemade baby food, the Williams-Sonoma cookbook is wonderful. I also recommend http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ and http://www.weelicious.com/. Time to go steam some apples!








1 comment:

  1. Great job! I had planned on making all of my own baby food for Cole, but ended up reaching for the convenience of the jar for most meats and some veggies. I made all of my own fruit though. Food struggles seem to come and go with us. Some days he eats everything and others, I swear, he only eats yogurt and chedder bunnies :)

    ReplyDelete