Saturday, June 18, 2011

Certainty

Yesterday was my sixteen week doctor's visit. Caitlin came along since my appointment immediately followed school. Dad met us at the doctor's office, armed with Goldfish crackers, an Elmo magnadoodle, and an onslaught of board books, to help entertain the Terrific Tot during my check-up. Before Dr. W began the exam, she asked, "Does Caitlin know about the b-a-b-y?"

Good question, Dr. W. Yes, we told Caitlin a new baby is coming and she will be a big sister. She points at my belly and says, "baby." Caitlin even waves to my belly and gives my belly kisses. However, she also points at Matt's belly and says, "baby." She pats, kisses, and waves at Matt's tummy. Does she truly understand there is real, live baby growing exclusively in my belly? I'm not so sure. I am not certain she is old enough to truly grasp this whole "new baby" thing. There was not a simple answer to Dr. W's question. Rather than taking up precious appointment time with stories of Caitlin's baby confusion, I simply said, "yes."

And then something wonderful happened. Dr. W began a sonogram and we all heard the new baby's heartbeat, strong and steady at 144-150 beats per minute. As we listened to the heart beating I said, "Caitlin, listen. You can hear the baby." She stopped playing and sat in momentary silence. As she listened to her new brother or sister, Caitlin smiled and said with certainty, "Baby." This time I really think she did understand what this is all about. And it was amazing.

2 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes! I'm so happy for you and your family! Caitlin is going to be a wonderful big sister! :)

    ReplyDelete