Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Only in My Dreams

The night before our eighteen week ultrasound, I could not sleep. Our room was too hot. My sheets came untucked from the end of the bed. My pajamas did not fit. I woke to pee at least three times. And worst of all, I had a crazy-time, pregnancy-hormone induced dream. In my dream, Matt and I went to our ultrasound, full of anticipation. While examining images of our baby, the doctor squinted, rubbed her chin, sighed, and repeatedly said, "Hmmmm..." Finally, she turned to Matt and me and said, "I'm not sure how to tell you this, so I'll just say it. Did you know you were carrying a horse?" While I was able to deliver a 9 lb, 13 oz baby, I don't have it in me to deliver a horse, even one of the those comically adorable miniature ponies you may see at a petting zoo or in the circus. I woke up sweating, anxious about the unknown, and fearing the worst.

The next morning, I went to our ultrasound appointment exhausted and nervous. While waiting for the doctor to arrive, I told Matt about my dream from the night before:

Me: "O.k. don't laugh at me, but I'm so nervous. I had a dream last night that our baby is actually not a baby at all, but a horse."

Husband: "Really. Well, I guess I'll have to build a stable. I wonder if there is room in the backyard?"

Me: "Seriously, I'm really nervous."

Husband: "I know, horses are expensive. I wonder how much hay our baby horse will need?"

Me: "Stop it. You are not helping. You are not funny. At all."

In the middle of this exchange, the ultrasound doctor arrived, eliminating my opportunity to really give my husband a piece of my mind. She asked routine questions about my past pregnancy, my current pregnancy, and my overall health. Suddenly, in the middle of her questions, I told the doctor about my horse dream. I over share. It's something I'm working on. While Matt stifled giggles, she nodded, looked at me as though I could be the biggest moron ever to walk into Boston Ultrasound, but said, "I'm sure your baby is just fine. Let's have a look and you'll see."

After moment or two, our little baby appeared on the video display screen looking every bit like a healthy, developing, and (thank goodness) human baby. The doctor commented on Baby's strong heart, developing brain, kidneys, lungs, and bladder. We saw Baby kick its legs and make fists with its tiny hands. At one point, it even looked like Baby waved hello. As I watched our new baby on the screen, I finally exhaled and released all of the anxiety I've been carrying throughout this pregnancy. I soaked in the images of our baby, imagining the color of his or her eyes, wondering if Baby would have long fingers like Caitlin. The only things distracting me from this little wonder were Matt's muffled whinnies, neighs, and hee haws. He thinks he is hilarious. I am considering attending all future appointments alone.

Here is a picture of Baby from its first photo shoot. Looks like he or she has my hubby's oversized head. Lucky mama!!



































1 comment: