Saturday, June 11, 2011

Second Time Around

If you look carefully at Caitlin's shirt, you may notice it contains a special message. Some time toward the end of November, Caitlin will become a big sister. I am approximately sixteen weeks into my second pregnancy. With each passing day, my belly becomes larger and my regular pants become tighter, which makes me think I have many months of elastic waistbands and flowing tunics in my future.



Second pregnancies are funny: the belly announces its arrival much earlier than the first time around, making it near impossible to conceal pregnancy from co-workers. People's reactions are more nonchalant, as though this news was expected for some time. And raising a toddler commands most of my time and energy, thereby causing me to often forget I am pregnant again.


Second pregnancies also bring many questions and much apprehension. How will I prepare Caitlin to handle the role of big sister? How can I minimize any jealousy she may feel when a new baby arrives? How can I let two little ones know they are equally loved, equally special? As with anything when it comes to raising kids, I know I will make mistakes. I suppose those mistakes will allow me to learn and grow as a parent. I think we are about to embark on the greatest, but most challenging, adventure of all. Wish us luck!!





2 comments:

  1. LOVE! And good luck, indeed! I miss you terribly!!,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Becky and family! My 2nd pregnancy flew by because I was so busy with Cole. Enjoy it and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete